Friday, October 8, 2010

Bath Time

Thursday October 7th
Our nice little bathroom does not come equipped with a tub. This made me sad, as Julia has loved taking baths starting with the 2nd one in her life. (not so much the after-birth-hospital-standard scrub down.) After perusing the internet countless portable and inflatable bathtub options, we (Dave, really) hit upon the brilliant idea of using a Rubbermaid tote. It works very well. better, possibly than a real bathtub as the high walls help contain her vigorous splashing. I take the vigorous splashing as a sign that she's happy with the situation.


I finished another hat today. I'm working on creating my own hat designs so that I'm one step closer to having a store on Etsy. The problem with this one is that I don't know what kind of yarn it is. It was  leftover yarn someone didn't want, and that means I'll have to modify the pattern for another yarn or find a very similar yarn to use. I like this mystery yarn though. it feels soft, and not at all wooly-itchy. Perhaps it is a newfangled bamboo or microfiber yarn.



I also made carrot bread today. It turned out rather well. I decided to make this recipe since we have an enormous bag of carrots in the fridge that are starting to get a little fuzzy around the edges. But since I was feeling uninspired about grating 3.5 cups of carrots, I supplemented with a bag of grated zucchini that i had in the freezer. And instead of using raisins, i put in Craisins instead, as we have THREE enormous bags of them!



The original recipe is credited to Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook The Bread Bible.

Preheat oven to 350
combine in a bowl:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
in another bowl combine:
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups of some combination of grated carrots and grated zucchini
1 cup Craisins or raisins
combine the two bowls with a bare minimum of mixing, pour into a greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour until a toothpick tests clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment