Friday, January 18, 2013

Good News and Surgery

Some good news: the oncology Doctor thinks that this tumor wrapped in and around my ovary is not cancerous. The only way to tell for sure is to look at it, and since it is so huge (bigger than a grapefruit) it needs to come out anyway. Thus on Tuesday, I'm going in for abdominal surgery. They will make an incision below my belly button (3 inches or so long if they can get it out through that, but they will go bigger if they have to) and remove the tumor and the ovary. The surgery won't cut into the uterus or the other ovary (unless they find the unexpected) so my future fertility will probably be ok. I'll be in the hospital for recovery for 2-4 days, then on heavy painkillers for awhile. No driving for 3 weeks. No lifting more than 10 lbs for 4-6 weeks. (That's a bummer when your almost 3 yr old is 40 lbs!) I've put a call out to some family to see if they can come out after surgery to help, and it's an option to send Julia home with my parents for as long as necessary, so we are starting to graft together a plan for the post-surgery recovery. So praise be for the good news, and prayers for the surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment