Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Midsummer creativity and fun



corn and green beans and apricots

apricot sauce and plum sauce


driftwood candle holders




denim booties

ocean pants



A hat for Julia that I designed and knit from Hommespun yarn spun by my friend Trevor.
If you want the pattern, contact me and I'll e-mail you a copy. 

A felt crown for Julia someday (a little big)




a baby bonnet from old t shirts made from a captain crafty tutorial
and the second one, much nicer! (i used manufactured bias tape for the edging instead of the t shirt hem,)

I made it slightly larger, but it was still rather small for Julia.  Perhaps I'll do a third. 

Olaf gives Julia horsey rides

He also discovered the town's skate park and wants to go at least twice a day!

but he's not too cool of a skater kid to hang out and eat popsicles with Julia

Our friends Andy and Carolyn came for a visit. They let me live with them in Dubuque, Iowa for two semesters of high school after my parents moved to Nebraska and I hated it. Very kind of them! 

I bought Julia a rocking chair at an antique store for $10. She's pretty fond of it! 
Julia helped me bake Zucchini cake
Excellent Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cake

1 cup wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce or yogurt or mashed banana
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla
4 cups grated zucchini and/or summer squash (do not drain, grate over a bowl or use a food processor. add with the juice)
1 cup chocolate chips and/or walnuts

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine gently. 
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 325 for about an hour, until a toothpick comes out clean. 


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, what a great bunch of crafting!! The driftwood candles are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those candles, cheers from New Zealand, Marie

    ReplyDelete