Friday, November 5, 2010

Halloween

10/30 to 11/5
thus endeth a 8 day internet outage!

The school hosted a halloween party on saturday for the kids and families. Dave and I were bumblebees, and Julia was our flower. Good thing halloween wasn't any later or Julia wouldn't have fit in her costume! The kids got to play all sorts of games like musical chairs, relay races, sack hop, fish tank, bean bag toss, tug of war, and there was a cake walk, jello eating contest and pizza and treats for sale. I ran the face painting booth that also dabbled in pirate themed temporary tattoos. very popular, those.


how fast can you suck jello through a straw?
the get dressed-get undressed relay race
Trick or treating happened sunday night, and was actually kind of anticlimactic, as there were only about 5 kids to come by. Some had gone to Anchorage, and some were stuck across the river. Until the ice freezes solid enough to drive on, three of the school kids are stuck on the other side. We did take Julia to a couple houses, though she was pretty indifferent about it. 

the trick or treaters, traveling bush alaska style
(meaning a kid as young as 7 is often driving
other kids around on the 4 wheeler or snowmobile.) 
Julia seemed curious about the candy
other news:
Julia's getting another tooth, right next to the first one. I couldn't believe it. Six days apart!
She's also learned to clap, and it is the first thing she does now when she wakes up. She sits up and then claps, then goes about making sure I'm good and awake.

the teeth

Dave is going to teacher inservice in another village. He'll be gone from wednesday afternoon to saturday evening, so Julia and I are holding down the fort. I borrowed a sewing machine for a few days, so I'm mending and working on some small projects. Julia's hand-me-down snowsuit was missing one of the foot covers, so I knitted some out of red yarn, felted them and sewed them on. Pretty snazzy, I thought, but not 10 minutes after I finished sewing them on, I got word that the original missing bootie had been found. Sigh.
the booties
Julia got a PC shot and I got a flu shot at the town clinic. There's nobody living in the village to work the clinic, but maybe twice per year a traveling nurse will come to town for a few days.
the clinic
I've also been trying a new way of making bread from the cookbook My Bread by Jim Lahey. It's a simple dough that is barely combined, then left to rise slowly at room temperature for 18 hours. The slow fermentation develops the gluten that is a result of kneading in most bread recipes. After the 18 hours, the bread is shaped into a round ball and left to rise on a floured tea towel for 1-2 hours. Meanwhile you heat a heavy dutch oven style pot in the oven at 475 for 30 minutes. You flip the risen loaf into the hot pan, put the lid on and bake it for 30 minutes covered, and 15-30 minutes uncovered. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The bread is crusty, full of bread flavor, and the texture is chewy, with nice holes throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment