Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yummmmmm

It is DARK at 8 30 am out here. 


8 30 doesn't seem all that early to be up, but it sure feels early when it is dark out. I've been working on getting Julia to bed earlier since 10 pm seems kinda late for a baby's bedtime. She'll fall asleep about 8, but wakes up about every 30 minutes for another snack until I go to bed with her. The downside is that she used to sleep until 9 30 or 10 am but now is up at 8 30, 7 30 or sometimes 6 30, just wanting to crawl around awhile while I lay on the couch and semi-monitor what she's getting in to.
Our internet has been out for 5 days now, so I'm over at the school writing this, but I can't upload photos here, so this will have to wait until our internet returns to be published. Other goings on:


Out neighbors gave us this funny star snowsuit


and Julia had her first chicken bone to gnaw on. She was a fan.



the other day I made Punkerbean Muffins, so named because I call Julia my punkerbean, and because the chocolate chips look like black beans. They were excellent.


1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg and  ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of molasses
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 400˚
Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another. Combine. Don't forget the chocolate chips. 
Fill muffin cups. 
Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick tests clean. 




We took a little hike this weekend to Blueberry Hill, and this was the view: 


No blueberries though, but Julia got a snack




We also took a little family outing to the dump. The dump has made me ponder some things. At first, learning that I was to chuck my bag of trash into the wilderness filled me with angst and anger, but what else is there to do? Not have trash, for one, but we all know how quickly the trash can fills itself. Recycle? Well, there is a grant that allows the village to collect recyclables, but I'm told they are flown to the nearby village of Aniak, barged around the chain of islands to Anchorage and then trucked to Seattle to be recycled. So does that carbon footprint measure smaller than chucking my bag of newspaper and tin cans into the wilderness? I'm pretty skeptical, really. If you know that answer, please let me know. 
So is there a difference, chucking my trash in the village dump myself or letting some nice garbologist pick it up for me and take it away to a city landfill? Trash is trash in the end, and it is all going to a landfill somewhere. 
We saw a beautiful fox at the dump, but he got away before I could get the camera out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment