Friday, December 16, 2011

Yellowman's Banana Lime Bread

  •  I came across this recipe awhile ago from Moosewood's International Cookbook, called Yellowman's Bananna Lime Bread (or something close) and have been making it often ever since. I used to bake it for my roomates in college and they still speak of it. Since I despise coconut in most forms, I omit it and find the result to be pretty amazing. I like to cook the glaze until it thickens into a caramel-like sauce (between 5 and 10 minutes, boiling) and pour it over the warm bread so the heat sufficiently spreads it.
  •  
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs , lightly beaten
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 3/4 cup grated coconut , toasted
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

glaze

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in eggs, banana, yogurt and lime juice. Add salt, ginger and coconut. Mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to the wet mixture and mix until smooth. Pour into loaf pan.
  4. Bake 1 hour or until done. Cool for 10 minute.
  5. Meanwhile, make the glaze. Combine the brown sugar, butter, rum and lime juice in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until it becomes a thin syrup.
  6. Pour over the cooled loaf and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

    In my searching to find the recipe again, I came across it on several food websites with no proper credit to the cookbook it was lifted from. That annoys me, but not quite enough to sign up for a membership to the various websites so I can comment on it.

1 comment: