Sunday, January 27, 2013

oophorectomy, ovarian cystectomy, appendectomy, and omentectomy

Were here I am, post surgery, so you all can surmise that things went more or less ok. I think they went very well indeed, but we are still awaiting results on the post-surgery pathology report. They went in through a vertical incision below my belly button about 4 inches long. They found the tumor to be roughly volleyball sized, and drained three liters of fluid out, (that is slightly more than a gallon) reducing it enough to get the remaining mass out through the incision. They did a initial analysis of the mass during the surgery and decided it was likely a mucinous epithelial tumor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucinous_tumor
They removed the tumor, the left ovary it was engaged with, the appendix, (as it can be a source of this type of tumor) and a smaller cyst on the right ovary, as well as samples of tissues all around to send off to pathology to help them get the big picture on what is going on. I came to in recovery and began the process of getting well again. I had wonderful hospital support from the nurses on staff and benefited greatly from the constant presence of my friend Erin, a nurse practitioner herself, who helped care for me and helped me to understand all that was going on. We won't know for sure until the pathology report comes back, but this sort of tumor could be nothing much to worry about, and if that is the case, there's no reason for me to put of trying to conceive beyond letting my incision heal for a few months. We should hear back in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how many opinions are necessary to interpret the results.  I stayed in the hospital two nights, before heading home Thursday afternoon. I've been recovering more and more daily. At first, I spent most of the day in bed napping and popping narcotics, and watching netflix, but I had to get up to go to the bathroom, and I began adding a trip downstairs to each trip to the bathroom, and soon I was able to sit at the table for a few minutes and eat a few bites of something, and soon I was able to bend over and squat slowly, and go outside for a few minutes, and all the while reducing my pain meds. Julia has been wonderful to me. I remind her every time I see her to be gentle with my tummy and she is! She is fascinated with the incision, and especially impressed with the staples holding it together. I've had great help with her. Dave has upped his game, balancing work and Julia's needs and first my dad was here,  here now is my mother-in-law, and next comes my mom, to be followed by one sister, then another. I'm lucky to have so many supporting me!
pre-surgery!
post-surgery!
Julia and her Grandpoppa
painting pictures!
visiting mommy in the hospital 
baking and decorating a cake with Grandma Gini

We turned it into a No More Nunnies party! 
I was so happy to sit outside for a few minutes (yesterday) and today I walked around one block. I'm feeling loads better, but still get wiped out after I've been up and about for 30 or so minutes and have to go lay down for a good while. 

2 comments: