Sunday, May 26, 2013

some springtime happenings

Spring in Oregon is a beautiful time! we've had some rain, but more sun. Flowers are blooming, roses and poppies are everywhere, the garden is taking off, and everything is green. Here's the life in photos:
our friends Marv and Nancy and Joan and Art all came to visit us, and we crashed their hotel room at Mcminamins, having a lovely but brief visit. 
We stopped by Multnomah falls 
Julia and I have fallen off our morning walk routine, which is bad for my general exercise, but it does give us wonderful lazy mornings, eating breakfast and reading and playing around. I'm hoping to switch to an afternoon walk routine to get back into the habit!
during a playdate, Julia and her friend Aurora climbed into bed and Julia read books to her!
Dave went to alaska for a graduation ceremony of former students, and while he was gone my friend Whitney came to hang out! we dragged out my paper stuff and spend a morning making cards.  
Julia's been 'reading' to her baby a lot.  
lettuce in the window box 
lavender blooming out front
a wild rose bush 
iris, all the ones in the yard so far are this shade of purple. I'm hoping to get some yellow to mix in!
another wild rose
the strawberry bed got netted and has been producing a few berries. more are pinking up!
the adjacent bed has kale, lettuce, carrot, radish, and rhubarb. 
when it is not raining, I sit on the porch with Julia and some blankets and drink my coffee. 
Julia's new favorite game is "go to sleep" which involves dragging her bedding out to the sidewalk and pretending to sleep. 
some friends of ours are moving into town from the country and have been showering julia with gifts as they pack. she's in love with the wagon!
occasionally I care for this little girl, Maya. She's a sweet little thing, but it does remind me how nice it is to have a 3 year old!
princess Julia, ready for a walk. 
foxglove are blooming
Julia's taken on the role of flower inspector and takes her duties seriously. walking to the post office 4 blocks away can take over an hour. 
more flower inspecting and dancing upon
I can't seem to stop starting new seedlings. these are basil and dill and hyssop.  
mint is popping up all over!
I planted this last fall but forgot what it was. something good for tea. hopefully someone will come along who can tell me. 
I'm growing some potatoes in containers. supposed to have less pests that way. 
I've had to boot the chickens back to their pen for the near future while the seedlings grow. They were pretty miffed at me for a few days, but seem fine again. 
we've got a serviceberry that is producing berries, but there's an orange thing covering many of them. i doubt it is good and hopefully someone will come along and tell me how to get rid of it. 
the cherry trees are producing, and the birds have noticed!
the raspberries are getting ready to ripen
the tomato bed is taking off. 
the sage is flowering 
the peas are growing up their trellises
we planted a few sunflowers, and hopefully they will grow huge.  
some blueberries are here!
my sister caroline and her boyfriend Matt came for a night. 

we checked out the evening light on the waterfront


Julia was smitten, of course. good thing that next weekend is joe's graduation so she'll get to see lots of family!

No comments:

Post a Comment